Wednesday 16 May 2007

Four weeks is a long time to work in one place these days

(Originally Emailed: Feb 1, 2007 3:40 PM)
Bish's Precis
- I have a another new job
--
It doesnt rain, it pours.
Thats what its like here at the moment. No sooner had I landed a job with the London Borough of Havering, than I was asked to go for an interview just outside of London at Three Rivers council (Rickmansworth).
While I'd originally said I will keep looking after getting a job at Havering, I had an attack of morality and decided I needed to hang in there for a while. Also, Havering is a top performing borough, and on arriving there I saw why very quickly. Well managed (waaay better than Hillingdon), good people, and good systems in place.
So I nominated Monday 5 Feb as the day I would consider starting work at another borough. That would make four weeks in one place. I kept my options open though - the luxury of being employed already. I wasnt going to move unless there was a decent rise in wages.
Then I had a couple of calls about positions coming up. Some I knocked back, and one - at Luton - I got an interview. Luton is just outside of London, home to one of its airports and also Monty Panesar, and easy for me to get to from West Hampstead. Because of train problems in windy weatherI couldnt get to the original interview, and thought they'd say "oh well, we'll find someone else." But they still wanted to see me.
We rescheduled for this Monday - I had a "doctors appointment" and had to get from Romford to Luton (two hours by train). The next day by boss cornered me and asked if they could expect me to stick around. I laughed it off (with the benefit of hindsight, this would have looked very nervous), and he followed up with "you're not, are you?" All I could say was that I'd be here unless I got a spectacular offer.
He obviously knew what "doctors appointment" meant. I probably shouldnt have used air quotes when I told him about it.
On Tuesday afternoon on the way home from work, I was formally offerred the job. A spectacular offer. Its as a Senior Planner in Major Applications there. I'll be doing some minor applications also, but its roughly equal to where I was in the WA system when I left. Its very exciting!
So I took it. I went into work yesterday and told my boss straight away, and then went out on site for the rest of the day!
So anyways, thats the big news over here. I'll fill you all in on other aspects of London life sometime soon. Possibly after my sojourn to Stockholm, Vilnius and Poland in about four weeks. Who knows, I could have another job by then!
Cheers, Rosco
PS. For my last day at work, some of the boys are coming out to where I work in Romford to test the reptation of Essex girls and enjoy Romford on a strictly ironic level. Stay tuned for incriminating pics.

No comments: