Thursday 16 April 2009

The Nightmare Week

It was always going to be difficult. ToMarto Cup, an annual three day cricket match we play over Easter, was always going to intrude into my New Years Resolution.

The previous week, as I may have mentioned, I didn't get a chance to go to the gym. I reconciled myself by running ten kilometres on Wednesday. I don't think I mentioned that I was 89kg last week, which was as good as could be expected.

Er, I'm sure I mentioned that last week, but with very little other exercise to report, I have very little to talk about.

So ToMarto Cup, which involves a weekend of cricket and decadence off the field (lots of booze and plenty of food, and also heaps of greasy recovery food), was never likely to give me a boost on this quest.

Easter, which had no exercise except for the cricket itself, was followed by a Tuesday in serious recovery. I hadn't recovered much by Wednesday (when I had planned to run 10 km again) - in fact I was surprisingly sore in the body after cricket (rather than in the head after the booze and karaoke that followed). I felt like I'd somehow pulled a shin muscle. Do shins even have muscles? I was in no state to run.

Chastened by this (that's almost certainly not the right word by the way), I was very keen to get to the gym tonight. As I got within about 50m of my house, I reached down for my keys and I'd left them at work. No access to a car and therefore no way to get to the gym (it was too late to run).

So no gym work or running at all in the last seven days. As I went to weigh myself, all I could cling to was the vain hope that the cricket would be enough to keep my weight at least stable.

I'm on 92kg.

Fuck.

No comments: