Thursday 19 March 2009

Une Semaine Merde

I’ve had a shit week. For reasons I won’t go into, on Monday in particular I came home from work very angry. Usually when I come home angry I try to convert this anger into something positive by exercising. Running, in particular. By the end of it I’m either too tired to worry about it or happy with myself for turning a negative into a positive.

But on Mondays I have French. I found myself sitting in class, looking outside as the evening got darker and darker, and wondering now about auxiliary verbs for the passé composé tense of motion verbs (as you might expect) but whether I could go for a run when I got home from the lass at about twenty past nine. My brain was the equivalent of a big cat pacing up and down in a cage at the zoo, anxious to get out there and run off some excess energy.

But of course I got home and had to hang up the washing and do the ironing, so it wasn’t possible to go for a run after all. I was again constrained, this time by domestic duties. But I think that concept of turning a negative of aggressive and angry energy to good use (i.e. exercise) is a really important concept and will be very useful as I try to change my lifestyle a bit.

Tuesday I was cut short at cricket training but last night I managed to have a decent workout in the gym. I don’t even try to do the full workout anymore – there’s no point when it’s almost three hours and you only have two hours before the gym closes. But the exercise I did was useful and I came away feeling much better (probably because, as my housemate pointed out, I really didn’t feel like going to the gym yesterday: the euphoria of actually completing a task you know you should seems to be inversely proportional to your enthusiasm before the fact – it must be an endorphins thing).

Unfortunately that was the only trip to the gym in the past week, as a few things conspired to keep me away last Friday. Filling in my card at the gym (with my workout on it, and a calendar), I felt very guilty about missing the session, and also remembered promising myself to swim or run on the weekend as a result of missing it. But obviously I forgot that promise.

More changes are coming soon, as I’ve put my re-appraisal out to competitive tender, shall we say. As mentioned last week, today I provided interested parties with the information they require to craft a workout for me (and anything else they deem necessary). I ended up providing quite a bit of information, including my analysis of the second half of the workout which I haven't posted yet.

I am really looking forward to seeing what they come up with. In the meantime I’ll have to stick with my normal routine, which I have to admit has served me well so far.

No change to my weight in the meantime. I'm steady on 91kg.

No comments: