Thursday 5 February 2009

The First Workout

"That's rubbish. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about."

We were at Madge and Hopey's wedding last Saturday, but Leppitch wasn't talking about Hopey, or the best man, of even the celebrant. Which was good, because he'd only just started his rant.

"He's been to one of theose courses where they say 'YOU CAN BE A GYM INSTRUCTOR IN SIX WEEKS', or maybe he got it in a Corn Flakes box."

Leppitch had every right to be aggreived. He's a Human Movement graduate, but is not using it now (are any of them?), and I'd just told him what Chris, who did my assessment and organised my gym programme, what he'd told me.

Specifically, I mentioned that my fitness advisor said you should not train for more than one hour at a time. The reason, he said, was that the mentioned that after burning sugar I will burn muscle. So I miss the whole burning fat bit.

Despite Leppitch's rantings, I decided to keep an open mind and headed along for my first full workout on Wednesday. I was a bit sore after a decent cricket training session on Tuesday.

The workout is included below. Needless to say I was totally fingered afterwards.

But it gets worse. I arrived at 6pm. When the gym closed at 8:30pm I hadn't finished my workout.

To be honest 8:30 is a ridiculous time to close a gym in an inner city. My old one closed at 10pm. And sometimes that wasn't enough.

But I'm not willing to leave work any earlier than 5pm to get there (which was what I did on Wednesday), so I'm stuck with finding ways to cut down my programme.

As mentioned I'll give a commentary on the workout next week - there's no room to do that now - but needless to say that I was knackered. Actually I've already said that.

I got home at almost nine, and boiled some water for some corn while I cut up some pears to eat beforehand. I almost gagged on the first piece of pear I had. I couldn't handle eating a lot so didn't bother with the corn at all.

When I headed to bed (unusually early at 9:45), I was lying there, still cooling down really, and convinced that I would not be able to get out of bed. It turns out I wasn't too bad until later today when I got a bit stiff.

Cricket training was downright difficult.

By the way I weighed myself again tonight. Steady at 95kgm which is a bit disappointing.

----

New Workout

Warm up

5 mins cardio

Stretches

Main Programme

weights – dumbbell chest press 3 x 12, 10kg each

weights - lying down dumbbell fly 3 x 12, 7.5kg each

cardio - rowing - 2km @ 28-32 strokes/min (8-9 mins)

weights - leg press 3x12 @ 40kg

weights - leg curls 3x12 @ L3

cardio - bike (10 mins - 30 sec hard [130rpm@L8], 30 sec rest [100bpm@L4])

weights - seated row – 3 x 12 on 35kg

weights - bent row 3x12 12.5kg

weights - smith machine shoulder press, 30kg, 3x12

weights - standing row 15kg 3x12 (or 3x12 lateral raises 5kg)

weights – reverse fly 3x12 on Level 3

cardio - run (15 mins @ 12km)

weights - tricep dips 3x12

weights - triceps on rope 3x12 on Level 3

weights - seated bicep curl 3x12 5kg each

weights - preachers curls 3x12 on 15kg

cardio - 10 mins of my choice (cross trainer)

core strength – fitball jack-knife 2x20

core strength - reverse crunches 2x20

core strength - oblique fitball crunches 2x20

core strength - side planks 2 each side x 40 sec

Cool Down

run/swim for 10-15 mins

Stretches

No comments: