Thursday 22 January 2009

Choosing a Gym

So I'm still enthusiastic about this New Years Resolution, a full week after committing to it. Don't laugh, that's far longer than normal for me.

Of course, to achieve my goal of getting down below 80kgs I need to join a gym, just as I did in the UK.

I had joined Fitness First, which is located right near work in the city, when I was back last year, however I didn't really find it acceptable. I was down to two choices really, based on two different philosophies.

The first was a gym close to work which was well equipped but expensive, good at ensuring you were trying to reach your goals but difficult to get to on the weekends, and I only know one person who goes there, but I wouldn't be going at the same time as her.

Alternatively there is a smaller gym, run by a local council, which is cheaper and allows access to the pool. There are less machines but it is easier to get to on the weekends and after work. There is less contact with staff after the first appraisal but at least three of my mates are members there.

In the end, I went for the option of peer pressure as the best source of motivation, and headed to the smaller gym. I didn't need peer pressure as a motivation in London (although the gym I chose was recommended by housemates), but then I didn't have this crazy New Years Resolution to live up to.

So there you have it. I'm a member of Beatty Park gym (and get access to the pool and facilities there for no extra cost).

I weighed myself again tonight and no change. I'm still 96kg.

No comments: