Tuesday 23 September 2008

Sometimes, there isn't enough brown in the world


I have a tie you see. It's my lucky brown tie. I don't think I've told the story of the brown tie on the blog but many of you have heard it. You can see it above - look at it! It's magnificent! And don't worry, I centred that knot before I walked out the door. I'm not a philistine.


My lucky brown tie, or LBT, is in my "A-rotation" for ties, which is to say I wear it once a week. I talk about LBT regularly with my colleagues, even when I'm not wearing it. It's fair to say it's a highlight.


See - the week-to-week existence of a desk-bound bureaucrat can be exciting. I don;t know why people only want my travel emails.


Anyways, I wear it when I need the most luck - the day when I have the biggest issue to deal with or the most to do. But I only wear it once a week. Ever.


But this week I'm stuck in a rut. Today I had some very important work to do, so I wore LBT. And it worked a treat. The meeting I had was over in a jiffy - in, out, got what I wanted.


But there's a hitch.


On Monday an urgent matter landed on my desk. Actually it had been on my desk for a while, but it suddenly became extremely urgent. I have a heap of stuff I need to do by Wednesday morning, and I also need to be in the zone for a very important meeting on Wednesday itself.


Really, I need LBT again.


But I am committed to using the luck infused in LBT in a sustainable manner - once a week. I don't want to use it all up. So what to do, what to do?


After doing as much as I could today (i.e. while wearing LBT), I think I have to trust in my own abilities.


F*ck me, that's a scary prospect.


The upshot of this is, with a new promotion comes new responsibility. And with new responsibility comes an inevitable need for more luck to deal adequately with the tasks foisted upon you.


So maybe I'm in the market for another LBT (pish posh - as if there could ever be another!), or other equally lucky item of clothing in order to deal with my added workload and complexities.


Of course, in hindsight I shoulda worn LBT on Monday to avoid this conflict altogether.

1 comment:

Northy said...

Two things Plugga... well actually 3
1. Think back to uni and burn the midnight candle!
2. Stop wasting time writing blogs, that's time that could be spent working!
3. Want to catch up for a burger? been very undecisive about a stacker for sometime now but it's clear I need an experienced soul by my side!