Saturday 6 September 2008

The Angry Loner


Last Saturday my two future housemates and I signed the lease to our new place in Subiaco. I was stoked and immediately moved pretty much everything I had into the house. Something I didn't realise until later that day was that Nick and Kate weren't going to move in for another week.

In the lead-up to signing the lease I kept asking my future housemates whether there was any furniture they needed for the new house. Being in their own house already, they had everything they needed. So I wasn't about to buy stuff we wouldn't need.

So I moved into my room (rooms, actually - I have a bedroom and study), and by Sunday it was fully set up. But the rest of the house was bare.

Basically this week was my opportunity to live life as an angry loner.

Bereft of most normal possessions (Nick and Kate did leave me a TV, the Loner's Only Friend), I spent most evenings shuffling around an empty house. I would have had breakfast cereal for dinner - like a loser - but I didn't have any bowls.

It wasn't all Unabomber behaviour: I did go for a run when I was there which is a little more healthy. It's still a solitary pastime though.

Friday afternoon the chances of the week in isolation ending in something involving an AK-47 were increased when my boss landed an appeal on my lap. A heap of extra work in a tight timeframe could have been enough to tip me over the edge. But by the time I got it there was noone left in the office to shoot at anyway.

And the week of solitude ended with me getting home from a Friday night sitting on the floor in front of the television, eating pizza and watching re-runs which were punctuated by ads inviting me to text some friendly ladies to receive pictures of them doing stuff.

Thankfully I survived, and Nick and Kate will move in this weekend.

No comments: