Thursday 30 July 2009

Return to the Routine

Well, that was the plan anyway.

After four weeks off travelling and recovering from jetlag, I arrived home from work a bit late. I stood in my room for a couple of minutes, half in work gear and half in running gear, wondering if I should just brush of the run, but I eventually went. Again, guilt was the motivating factor. So I took off for my 10km run along the normal course.

I knew I was in trouble when I needed my second wind after 150 metres.

It didn't get much better for the rest of the run. I got stitches in about four places in my belly and felt like stopping many times on the run.

But I got to the end, eventually, taking a laborious 48:30 to get through the 10km. That's about 3 minutes outside of my best time.

It got worse. On Wednesday I was a little stiff, and not in a good way. Quads in particular had ceased up. So I stayed on the safe side and didn't go to the gym. I justified it by saying sometimes I need a day's break between exercise to recover.

Then today I could barely move. I walked like I was using crutches, and getting to the bathroom at work, which involves stairs at the moment due to renovations, was a genuine struggle.

So that time, plus the struggles in the run and afterwards, tells me I've lost a lot of my fitness base.

Given I have just sent out a challenge, this could spell trouble.

In the meantime I'm back up to 89kg. Not entirely unexpected. Cycling for two days on the holiday wasn't exactly keeping up my fitness regime.

No comments: