Thursday 7 May 2009

Trouble a-brewin'

This is my first “back to normal” week: French on Monday, run on Tuesday and gym on Wednesday and Thursday. And booze this weekend.

It started well enough, with my 10km run on Tuesday. I’m noticing it getting slightly easier, even if I’m not getting any faster.

On Wednesday morning, I felt a touch sore – my thighs and calves, naturally, had a bit of muscular soreness, but the outside of my left foot was a bit sore also, and it wasn’t muscular.

It got a touch worse as I ran from work to the gym but was still manageable (although I definitely dislike running with a backpack on – it really affects my action). I also ran my usual 15 mins on the treadmill at the gym also and it was slightly aggravated.

Still, I was keen to push on and run a couple of kms home from the gym. I started out OK but it got worse dramatically and as I was crossing the freeway at Loftus Street I had to stop and walk most of the rest of the way. It was incredibly frustrating – all the more so when I spend most of my time running trying to resist the urge to stop.

I hope the foot is OK. At the gym tonight I focussed on low-impact exercise – specifically not running. I also took my gym stuff to work again so walked straight to the gym from there.

So I finally did two gym sessions and a run in one week – something approaching my ideal, balanced routine.

The outcome? A modest improvement (which is all I need if I stick to my routine). I'm at 88kg.

No comments: