Monday 16 June 2008

Authentic Travel

I've been very lucky on this holiday so far, having hosts with me in Paris, Berne and now Rome. With their kindness and knowledge (and also their cars) I've been able to get to quite a few places that I didn't know about and certainly wouldn't get to without them.
One of these places is Ostia Antica, south or Rome. It's some extensive ruins of the old port city for Rome and dates back to the 7th Century BC. It's also about 25km from Rome and hopelessly served by public transport and tours. So when Alessandra, Rome resident and former housemate, offered to spend and afternoon there I jumped at the chance.
About the time she texted me with the idea of doing this, I was spending the day with another friend, Lauren, and her brother. Lauren mentioned that she wanted to go to Pompeii in a toga if there were enough of a group willing to do so.
I found this funny, and also remembered my alcoholic roots at UWA where I attended a few toga parties. I had to pay my respects - to the ancient Romans and the now-ancient former attendees of these toga parties. Of course, being a shameless attention-seeker, the optimum group size for such an exercise for me was one (plus one to take pictures).
Click on the links to see the results of my efforts.
Getting ready (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)
In the Sacred Place of the Republic (front) (back)
In the Teatro, participating in an Ancient Roman version of The Price Is Right. Come on down! (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
I also fulfilled a few Italian stereotypes:
Having an argument on my mobile phone (this wasn't staged - Southern Electric are useless)
Obviously the tourists there were pretty happy to see me, and laughing quite a bit. Some of them, well within earshot, spoke about me in the third person a bit, like "Oh he's wearing Nikes."

Actually, if I was in sandals I might have made a few euro while there.
Massive thanks to Alessandra for taking the pics (I couldn't get the camera out of her hands!), and to Lauren for the idea. Also I should thank the hostel for the sheet, but they don't know I borrowed it.
PS. It was quite warm that day. You should see my tan/burn lines.

No comments: