Saturday 21 July 2007

Weekend travels and shenanigans omnibus

I've done a bit of cheeky travel in the last couple of weeks, which
has given me a very good excuse to be tardy with my blog.

A couple of weeks ago I headed to La Clusaz in the French Alps for a
wedding. Adam, my (3rd?) cousin, was getting married to the lovely
Ange. It meant a weekend in the French Alps. Ah well, the sacrifices
we make.

I knew ahead of time I'd have a hard time getting my passport stamped
in Geneva airport. Morgs couldnt get his stamped when he arrived. So
when I went through passport control, the bloke just looked at the
passport and looked at me. I asked if he'd stamp it and he just looked
at me. Ambivalent. Neutral. Bloody Swiss. I moved on.

It was midnight by the time I got to my room, so it wasn't until the
morning that I found out what sort of a view you can expect from a
two-star hotel in the Alps. I was extremely impressed! I was blown
away infact. It was probably helped by the incredible weather we had
that day - it was 26 and bright sunshine. It had been raining all the
previous week, and there was fresh snow on the mountains. And the
following day it was drizzling too. We were very lucky!

And I was lucky too. A big thanks to Tony and Sheila, and Adam and
Ange, for the invite. I had a fantastic time!

Another weekend, another country. Last weekend it was Ireland, with
Larry, Dan and Kate joining me to meet up with Eammon in Ireland. I've
been to Dublin twice now, and each time I've been too busy drinking to
get to the Guinness factory. Ah well, next time maybe.

I arrived back in town on Monday afternoon, and picked up my ticket
and morning suit for the Buckingham Palace Garden Party. Liz does a
mean cuppa, and the cucumber sangas were superb. It was a pretty good
afternoon, and again uncommonly sunny, but we waiting a long time for
the Queen to work the crowds, and she walked straight past the last
third of the cordon, which was a bit disappointing. Still Dan Barnao
(who came with me) joined me in the pub for "one" pint to drown our
sorrows. Of course this turned into about seven.

More of that to come in my birthday drinks. Its going to be wonderful
turning 29 again...

No comments: