Wednesday 1 August 2007

All Fired Up

Tuesday is fire alarm day at work. At 2pm the alarm goes off, just to test it. Today it went off and I was on the phone. Fantastic for the bloke on the other end.

Then I realised i was hungry. I hadnt eaten yet because it wasnt lunchtime - it was only about 11:30. It was an actual alarm. So we evacuated the building and had a lovely half hour chatting and standing in the sun, waiting for the all clear. It's a rare luxury to have the sun in England, but to be able to bask in it during a work day - well, that was special.

I'd been tired all day because I went to the gym last night, and I knew I'd be at the gym tonight too, so some of the fatigue was premeditated. The day seemed to drag on.

I got to the gym at about seven, ready to hit my usual circuit. About an hour into it the alarm goes off. I've got a decent sweat going but we have to evacuate. Another fire.

This time it was the polar opposite. It wasn't cold outside, but as soon as the I cooled down and my sweat cooled with me, I was standing in cold wet clothes waiting to be let in. Not quite as goood as the daytime. It was a genuine fire too - quite a big one in the basement apparently, and we saw heaps of smoke coming from the roof. But after an hour we got our stuff and had to leave - we couldn't go back into the gym.

Pretty freaky though: two real fire alarms in one day.

The moral of the story: if you're gonna start a fire where I work, do it at about 2pm on a Tuesday as we'll all think it's a test. But if you do intend to do that, make sure it's a sunny day.

Thanks.

No comments: