Wednesday 6 June 2007

Lack of Poise Paying Off

For a couple of weeks now my shower has become increasingly clogged. One thing you notice when coming to the UK is the build-up of hard deposits in showers, kettles etc from the impurity of the water. That has happened on my shower head, and while usually providing good water pressure, it's been like being shot by a water pistol at the moment. And not a super soaker.

But this morning, still half asleep, I thoughtlessly picked at the nozzle and removed a bit of the calcium/lime/whatever from one of the little holes. More water came out. So I kept going until they were all open.

I think I picked up the idea from when I used to get pimples. Frustrated by their existence, I would always try to pop them too early, which of course meant they would stick around for longer. I know, I know... eeew. But I think it has always showed up a lack of patience and poise on my part. That's not the only situation where I've exhibited such deficiencies. Have a look at me when I play cricket - not much discipline there. And who can look past my mediocre history with women in that respect: I can't hold my nerve there either!

The more I thought about it this morning (while still in semi-slumber: the increased shower pressure did little to actually wake me up), the more I thought lack of poise was a defining characteristic not only of me but of redheads everywhere. Sure, that's a gross generalisation, but think about it: a lack of patience combined with anger means a hideous temper. We bloodnuts can't really argue the toss there I'm afraid.

So I guess its in my genes - or complexion - there's no escape from my lack of poise. When it comes to affairs of the heart, maybe its nature's way of minimising the survival rate of the bloodnut gene. And I'm sure you'll all agree, that's probably for the best.

Still, its good to see my lack of poise paying off for once. But I guess any redhead with a blocked shower can't call themselves a true redhead.

No comments: